Thursday, December 4, 2008

Neutral! Neutral! Neutral!

Savoring Simplicity has moved to WordPress. Please, join us at http://savoringsimplicity.wordpress.com/ or click here.

Click on photos to enlarge.
--------------------
Stripes always make the ceilings look higher. The tall, narrow windows add to the airiness of the room, allowing sunlight to flow through the neutral interior. Black frames, echoing the black accents around the room, add sophistication to the neutral scheme.

Photo: Annie Schlechter
---------------------

This room caught my eye because the wall and trim colors are similar to my living and dining rooms in my first house - a soft gray with crisp, white trim. It was the seventies. While harvest gold, avocado green and burnt orange were the "in" colors of that decade, I was in love with pearl gray (slightly lighter than the photo). Similar to the bust sitting on the floor in the photo, I had two slightly smaller versions - a male and female. They're still hidden somewhere in the attic. Like the ones in the photo, my curtains were white, and they were made of a light-weight fabric, but they were not custom. I made them myself. And I bought the gray paint from (who else?) Benjamin Moore.

wall paint:
Cliffside Gray benjaminmoore.com
Photo: Paul Castello.
-------------------

I admit it, the chaise is expensive, but lets look at the other elements in the room. The art can be easily replicated. Black and white photos are sporting identical frames, with simple, white matting. They create the feeling of a gallery when displayed on one wall. The white shade is in keeping with the simplicity of the rest of the space and can easily be found at a reasonable price. Replace the rug with an inexpensive copy and voilà, you have a winner.
wall paint: Veil Cream #PT-370
trim and ceiling paint:
Snowfall White #OC-118 benjaminmoore.com
Photos: Justin Bernhaut
-------------
domino

No comments: